United Nation Says Sudan Warring Forces Not Keen On Serious Ceasefire
United Nations has expressed concern over the continued violation of the ceasefire agreement by warring fores in the ongoing fighting in Sudan.
According to the United Nation envoy to Sudan, volker perthes, amidst a shaky 72-hour ceasefire which was partially holding, said there are no signs that the warring parties are ready to seriously negotiate an end to fighting.
The UN envoy told a UN security council meeting in New York city on Tuesday that both sides in the conflict believe that they can secure a victory.
Commenting on the temporary and shaky truce between the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) which went into effect on Tuesday, perches said that it was “holding in some parts so far”, but fighting had continued in key areas.
Warring Forces In Sudan Agree To Fresh 72 Hour Ceasefire
Residential areas in Khartoum have been turned into battlefields where gun and tank fire, air attacks and artillery shelling have killed at least 459 people, wounded more than 4,000, cut power and water and limited food distribution in a nation where a third of its 46 million people had already relied on food aid.
UN secretary-general Antonio gutters described the violence and chaos in Sudan as “heartbreaking” and warned the UN meeting on Tuesday that the fighting could spread to other countries in the region.